Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Preparing for holidays/birthdays

Nothing is more of a budget buster like a birthday party invitation for the kids, or the kids birthdays, coupled with holidays most months of the year, and it really starts to add up! September is my busiest month, with middle daughters birthday the 22nd, sister in law the 23rd and my mom the 24th! Also, aug 17th is youngest daughter's birthday! so, only 4 weeks in between! Now, my oldest, she is always coupled with Easter (usually within a week -3 of her birthday- last year it was the day before Easter!). Then you have Honey, his birthday is July 4thd, and mine is 2 weeks before Christmas! If we don't have a plan for presents, we are in TROUBLE! So, what to do?

Well, we decided a couple years ago after we needed help for Christmas that wasn't going to happen again, and we would be helpers instead. So, every month I try to buy 1-2 clearance toys/gifts or a group of cheap things that would be good for stocking stuffers. These go into the "gift closet" and will be pulled out at the end of the year to give to Toy Stores at churches. We look for items we would have loved or appreciated getting that year, and if the price is right.... we get it! It might be boxed jewelry (we got at claires for .50/box! usually $10/box!) One year we found "cocomotions" for $7 on clearance, I got 4 - some for gifts and some for give away. I also go to online stores like www.brylanehome.com and usually every few months they will have a "buy ANYTHING and get a free....." I have gotten a wok set, a knife set, a blanket, all for free! All I had to do was buy SOMETHING...usually it is something I need for the house, from the clearance section on the site and less than $10! I love this! I get something I need (pillow shams, curtains, etc) and I get to get something to put in the gift closet!

Right now I have my eye on some toys at walmart. They are in the clearance section for $8 right now, but they aren't selling, so I expect another drop soon. When they get to $5 I will probably get 4 of them, 2 for my kids (littlest pet shop stuff) and 2 to give away. don't forget people in need can use many different things! Shop after a holiday for decorations, 50 cents for st patty's decor you can give to a charity is cool! Imagine how much you can get! I try to stick to major holidays with that stuff.... Easter, Christmas, Halloween, etc. We got a crystal angel that year, and every year she graces the top of our tree to remind us where we have been, and where we are going, and to be grateful for what we have!

So, after buying all this stuff every month.....Ooops ! middle daughter has a birthday party to go to, no money in the budget....let's go to the gift closet...a pretty quilt, a toy and some jewelry! Cost you next to nothing at the time, but now you have a free gift and your daughter looks like a hero! :) What is left over at the end of the year goes to charity. no ifs ands or buts. You can buy things and keep them for specific people for Christmas (sil would LOVE that wok set, etc), and you can get your holidays over before they start. Just $25/mo extra to buy these things and you will feel secure, happy, and when it comes time to lay out all that money for the kids in december... well.... it won't be as much because you have the closet and you have gotten great stocking stuffers too throughout the year, and the big stuff will be easier to get because you aren't buying for everyone!

So, this is march. I would buy the $25 for this month (on whatever you think) and if you can spare an extra $10 this month to catch up with january, and $10 next month to catch up with february, you will be back on track. This is so very important to do, it makes life so much easier, and you will feel so in control in November when you say "all my holiday shopping is done!" People will hate you, lol, but be proud you thought ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment